Friday, November 7, 2008

"got the news today, doctor said i had to stay"

I would like to focus on on the first two lines in A Little Bit Longer, the first being "got the news today". I feel as if he is making a reference to his girlfriend breaking up with him. News is usually something given to you by a third party, so maybe a friend had to tell him or maybe his girlfriend did. Also news is widespread so possibly other people knew about the breakup before him or maybe it is the talk amongst all of his friends. Lastly, connotations surrounding "news" is generally negative leading me to believe that he has lost something, namely a relationship with his current girlfriend. 

The next line I would like to discuss is "doctor said I had to stay". I believe that the reference to "doctor" is that of a love doctor. I believe this because of the argument I stated above with "news" having a negative connotation, I also believe that doctors have a negative connotation. The doctor could be the person delivering the breakup news to him or possibly the doctor could be his conscience telling him to hang in there. 

2 comments:

Wiedbrauk said...

is the doctor a medical doctor? a psychologist? or a news giver? (what is a "love doctor"? you wrote that and all I could think was voodoo witch doctor with his little bottle of Love Potion No. 9)

I like the notion you're starting to explore that the references to "doctors" and "cures" are part of an extended metaphor for heartache as illness.

Keep working this up, and consider investigating the more literal side of it: if he is given the news by a medical doctor (and it's not about a girl) then what is the news in that alternate interpretation? (And then follow it up with which argument you think is stronger and why.)

D. Malone said...

You could go further in depth about "news" and "doctor" naturally causing you to think pessimistically. Not all news is bad and not everything doctors say is negative. Someone with a more optimistic disposition may hear news or doctor and think of something positive. So analyzing the words separately I dont think its that strong but the line as a whole supports more of what youre saying. Because a doctor saying you have to stay sounds like a plausible reason for worry